Quality management systems (QMS) help organizations increase quality and customer satisfaction by delivering high-quality products or services. Medical and aerospace products, for example, should be manufactured in a highly controlled environment so they are safe and effective. Quality management systems help organizations ensure their products consistently meet objective standards of quality. These systems continually identify areas that could be improved.
When you have processes and systems in place that help ensure quality, you will prevent problems in the future. Defective products will cost you more in the long term because you may have to replace them or repair them. Worst of all, low-quality products and services hurt your company’s reputation.
Even small businesses will benefit from QMS consulting services. When you gain a reputation for quality, you can capture market share from other companies. Customers who see your quality management process in place, will have a high level of comfort and be more willing to work with your company. Customers who know that they can rely on the quality of your products will also tell other people about your company. These personal referrals are more important than ever because of the widespread use of social media.
These eight principles of quality management have been in use for about 25 years and have stood the test of time:
1. Leadership that creates a cooperative environment for employees
2. Employees who feel empowered and rewarded
3. A strong focus on the needs of the customers
4. Processes that are managed effectively
5. Systems that coordinate the different processes
6. Constant improvement of processes and systems
7. Decisions based on objective evidence
8. Good relationships with suppliers